In the first season of True Detective, Matthew McConnaughey’s character famously pronounces “Time is a flat circle.” Humanity constantly replays the same basic struggles and dramas. We never really learn our lesson. We are condemned to the same cycle of life for eternity.
I see why it might like look this way. From ancient myths to Greek tragedies to our current political climate, we have always struggled with the same basic downfalls – pride, greed, laziness, arrogance. These don’t seem to be going away.
But I prefer to think of our trajectory instead as an upward spiral. We are constantly developing new capacities, values, and ideas. Yet we also circle around through the same themes and challenges again and again.
- There is no objective definition of humanity. There is no objective time when humanity began. These are all stories we created for ourselves to help make sense of our world. Read More »
- 155 businesses, representing five million employees and a combined market capitalization of over $2 trillion USD, are urging governments around the world to develop economic recovery policies responding to COVID-19 that also advance climate goals over the short- and long-terms. Read More »
- Earlier this month, social media giant Twitter announced a new policy counteracting unchecked misinformation and harmful content on its platform. This week, it begun implementing its new policy on the highest stage possible - warning users against President Trump's reckless and unsubstantiated claims. Read More »
- Perhaps the most heroic thing I can do is to let go of the need to be the Hero. Read More »
- This new data demonstrates significant progress in reducing both overall incarceration across the country and the disproportionate effects of our justice system on communities of color. Read More »