We are sickened and outraged by the state of the world.
We see poverty, inequality, environmental destruction, greed, cruelty, and on and on. It all seems so pointless. It’s not that we as humanity don’t have the solutions, it’s that many of us are simply unwilling to look beyond our own short-term self-interest.
Why don’t they see? Why won’t they see?
Is this just human nature? Will we always be trapped and limited by our greed and selfishness? Are we destined to replay the same cycles of oppression and unconsciousness, over and over until we destroy ourselves?
Notice: While many of us think such thoughts from time to time, if not often, these thoughts contradict themselves. In the act of asking why humanity can’t seem to take that next step in its consciousness and evolution, that next step into compassion, care, and responsibility, we demonstrate that very ability within ourselves. We demonstrate that humanity is in fact capable of such things.
We would be truly doomed if none of us thought this way. We would be doomed if in the face of injustice, poverty, and environmental destructive, we sat there unfazed and oblivious. But we don’t.
Again, notice: Many of us, an ever-growing number of us, have these very thoughts, are dreaming a new world into existence, can clearly see our potential, demonstrate our capacity for a new way of being.
The change we want and need is happening – right now. We prove it to ourselves every time we find ourselves and others in the grips of outrage.
- White folks: We are all the problem. It’s not just the overt racists. It’s not just the cops. It’s not just the president. Racism lives inside us all. It is the air we breathe and the water we swim in. Read More »
- There is no objective definition of humanity. There is no objective time when humanity began. These are all stories we created for ourselves to help make sense of our world. Read More »
- 155 businesses, representing five million employees and a combined market capitalization of over $2 trillion USD, are urging governments around the world to develop economic recovery policies responding to COVID-19 that also advance climate goals over the short- and long-terms. Read More »
- Earlier this month, social media giant Twitter announced a new policy counteracting unchecked misinformation and harmful content on its platform. This week, it begun implementing its new policy on the highest stage possible - warning users against President Trump's reckless and unsubstantiated claims. Read More »
- Perhaps the most heroic thing I can do is to let go of the need to be the Hero. Read More »