This week, a Kindling reader reached out with a request. She wanted Kindling’s Timeline of Human Genius to switch from the B.C./A.D. system (which comes from Christian traditions) to B.C.E/C.E. which is more inclusive and better reflects Kindling’s ethos. I realized pretty quickly that she was absolutely right: The B.C.E./C.E. system does speak better to Kindling’s values. I figured out a way to make the switch painlessly and I did it that same day.
The whole interaction made me wonder: Have I communicated clearly enough how much I want to collaborate with you all on making Kindling meaningful and inspiring?
I loved getting this email. I loved hearing that someone cared enough to request a change. And I loved finding a new way to more fully realize Kindling’s purpose and vision that I wouldn’t have thought of.
Do you all have any more ideas like this?
- Maybe the moments that feel the most blank, uncreative, and unproductive are the very moments when our best ideas are forming themselves, somewhere beyond our conscious thoughts. Read More »
- The 17 Sustainable Development Goals are now adopted by 193 countries and represent a level of international collaboration unparalleled in human history. Read More »
- Both Google and Yelp have reported a drastic surge in searches for Black-owned businesses since the beginning of June. Now both companies are adding icons that help customers more easily identify Black-owned businesses. Read More »
- Despite the notion that we are changing for the worse, part of this story is also that nothing ever really changes. We never really change. Our ways of being never really change. Read More »
- We tend to project our insecurities onto others. We see in others what we fear about ourselves. These projections can be our greatest teachers. Read More »